You are here
Request From Another Library
Interlibrary Loan services are not available during the provincewide COVID-19 shutdown. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Interlibrary Loan Service Guidelines
Kitchener Public Library (KPL) provides interlibrary loan service to our library cardholders, providing access to materials from other public library systems in Ontario. Interlibrary loan service also fosters cooperation and sharing amongst public libraries in Ontario, benefiting library users across the province.
The following lists the guidelines for the delivery of interlibrary loan service at Kitchener Public Library. These guidelines are regularly reviewed to ensure reliable and cost-effective service for our library users.
- Interlibrary loan (ILL) is a service the library provides free of charge to the customer. If an item requested through ILL is not picked up for any reason, a charge $5 per NPU (not picked up) item will be applied.
- Consistent with all other items on hold, one automated notice is sent when ILL items are ready for pickup.
- Customers may request the same title through ILL more than once, with the following parameter: a waiting period of 3 months between requests.
- Books with a publication date of 2 years and older are eligible for ILL.
- Books and microfilm are eligible for ILL. The following formats are not eligible for ILL: audiovisual materials, book club sets, mass market paperbacks, and textbooks.
- A customer may have 2 ILL requests at a time.
- ILL searching and requesting is limited to public libraries within the province of Ontario.
- Due to reciprocal borrowing agreements, free library cards can be acquired at all public libraries in the Region of Waterloo. Customers are encouraged to go directly to Waterloo Public Library, Idea Exchange in Cambridge, and Region of Waterloo Libraries for materials available at those locations.
- Customers can get a free library card from local universities and colleges including University of Waterloo, Wilfrid Laurier University and Conestoga College.
- KPL will not transfer any charges from borrowing libraries to our customers.
- When possible, if the title is available in an alternate format (e.g. e-book), the customer will be offered that option instead of an interlibrary loan. Accessibility needs and formats preferred by the customer will be taken into consideration.